5/24- mainly music cake

My Church started a program called mainly music this past fall; it's a music and movement class that originated in New Zealand. It meets once a week, and there's a half-hour of singing and dancing around, then snack time, then an optional Bible Study for moms while the kids stay in the nursery (lunch is served to both moms and kids as well). I've really loved this program this year, and it's been so much fun to watch my kids enjoy it and grow up with it over the past few months.

This past Tuesday was our final session until the Fall, so we had a big picnic after the music portion was over. We had hot dogs and hamburgers, other picnic foods, as well as some fun play time outside. God graced us by letting the sun come out on what was supposed to be a cloudy day! While we were planning the picnic, I got the wild idea that I wanted to make a fun cake for the picnic. The other ladies graciously let me have my fun, and I debuted the cake at the picnic that afternoon.

Now before you look at the cake, let me explain it a bit. It's based off of some songs that we sing at mainly music. One of the biggest favorites of all is a song called "Five Little Ladybugs." Another one is "I Spy"..... "I spy a creepy crawly caterpillar crawling by me.... a teeny weeny tiny flea....... a busy buzzy bumble bee.... a flashy dashy butterfly...." you get the idea. Fun songs for kids to learn with lots of little critters in them. So I decided that the cake needed 5 ladybugs, some bumble bees, a caterpillar, 2 fleas, and of course some butterflies. The wings on the critters that needed them didn't work out like I wanted them to AT ALL, but the rest of the cake I was completely satisfied with. It seemed like everyone there loved it too, which was what it was all about, so that's all that matters. :) Luckily, I've got a year to think up a design for the next one!


No comments:

Post a Comment