4/3- Cupcakes, Fish, and Resurrection Cookies



Today has been a busy day for my kitchen! I started out the morning with Mint Oreo Cupcakes and Buttercream Icing. You're probably guessing that the baby wanted cupcakes for breakfast, but thankfully she went for Raisin Bran instead. The cupcakes are for our Easter potluck after Church, and I knew I needed to get them done early in order to get them done. A friend gave me the recipe, and I've been super excited to try them. Plus there's the added bonus that we now have leftover Mint Oreos for me to eat. :) They were really easy to make, and taste wonderful! (Of course we had to sample one to make sure we weren't going to poison anyone from Church!)


After a busy afternoon of a mostly failed nap and a trip to Target that completely wore me out, it was time to turn my attention towards dinner. Given that I'm so pregnant that I feel like a whale, this mild Texas heat of 85 today is absolutely killing me. What better way to combat heat than with a salad? So we had Cornmeal Crusted Tilapia Salad.... or something like that. You dredge tilapia fillets in a mixture of flour and cornmeal, cook them up in some oil, and serve them up on top of a garden salad. The recipe has you slice up some tortillas, coat them in chili powder and salt, and toast them so they're a crispy little complement to the salad. They were definitely Scott's favorite part. It's a pretty quick, light meal that's great for hot nights when you're feeling dehydrated.


After dinner, in honor of Easter weekend, we made Resurrection Cookies for the first time. I'd heard about them before, but didn't think Scott was old enough yet to get anything out of the experience, so this was the first time we made them. They're such a neat idea! They're meringue cookies that you make and leave in the oven over night. Each step has Bible verses that go along with it, and the kids get to help you make them. It's a really neat way for them to kind of be a part of what Jesus went through, and is a great hands-on way for them to learn the Easter Story. Scott is still peppering us with questions about it, actually. Here's a link to the cookies: http://blessingsforlife.com/recipes/holidays/resurrectionstorycookies.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment