Sausage and Pepper Calzones

This is yet another Cooking Light recipe.... noticing a pattern? This is the stuffing... turkey sausage, green and red bell peppers, and onions, all sauteed until cooked and tender.



After it cools a bit, you add tomato sauce, cottage cheese, and mozzerella. This time, I killed any "light"-ness by adding ricotta as well. At least I used part-skim and low-fat, right? You also toss in some oregano, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes for a touch of heat.


While making the filling, the dough was in the oven on a super low setting rising. I made a double batch so I could freeze some of them for after the baby comes. Can't start preparing too soon, right?


You divide each batch of dough into equal portions. The recipe says 8, but that makes the tiniest calzones you've ever seen in your life. I got 5 out of each batch this time. Roll them into circles, put a cup or so of the filling in the middle. Fold it over and pinch the edges together. Ta-da! Ready to bake!



Here they are, all ready to go in the oven. Well, 3 of the 10 anyway...


Here's one all done! I added garlic, dried oregano, parsley, and basil to the leftover tomato sauce to make a marinara to go with them. I was pleasantly surprised at how it turned out!



View from the inside..... didn't fill them as full as I could have, but they were still darn good. I choose to go to civilized route and eat them with a fork and a knife. My husband, however, just picks them up and eats them by hand. Pick your method, they both work! :)






















No comments:

Post a Comment