7-14- Treacle Tart and Pumpkin Pasties

You guessed it, I'm a Potterhead! In preparation for the final movie, I broke out "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook" and went to town! A good college friend came to town to see the movie with my husband and me (at midnight!!!!) so I figured I at least owed her some Potter treats!

There are plenty of Tart recipes out there, and the one in the cookbook is insanely long to type out, so if you want to make one, I'll let you hunt one up yourself. I had to make a few substitutions from the recipe in the book, so it didn't quite come out fantastic. It tasted alright warm, and was moist enough if you ate it with vanilla ice cream, but once it cooled down, it somewhat resembled a very dry brick. I may try it again with a different recipe and see if I like it better.



The Pasties turned out really good, though! Actually, I had to make Sweet Potato Pasties since none of the stores in town saw fit to stock pumpkin for the movie premiere. (The nerve!) These were pretty easy to make, thanks to a food processor, and I absolutely loved them! The plan was to eat them during the movie, but they sadly got smashed to bits in my purse, so we waited until the next day to try them. I also completely failed at remembering to take pictures of them, so I have none. I'll come back and add one if I make them again, which I probably will once Fall arrives and stores actually carry pumpkin! (again, the nerve!) The recipe is much shorter than the Tart one, so I'll type it out for you.....

Crust:
1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1 T granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
5 T cold butter, cut into chunks
3 T vegetalbe shortening, chilled and cut into chunks
4-6 T ice water

Filling:
1 c canned pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1/4 c granulated sugar
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

1. Place the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine. Scatter the butter and shortening over the flour mixture. Pulse about 15 times until the mixture resembles coarse yellow meal, with no white powdery bits remaining.
2. Transfer the mixture into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle 4 T of cold water over the mixture. Toss the mixture together with a spatula until it starts clumping together. If it's too dry, add more water 1 T at a time (better too wet than too dry). Gather the dough into a ball and pat it into a disk. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour.
3. Combine the pumpkin, sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Preheat the oven to 400*. Roll out the dough 1/8-inch thick. Ise a saucer to cut out 6-inch circles. **
4. Put 2 to 3 T of filling in the center of each circle of dough. Moisten the edges with water, fold the dough over the filling, and crimp with a fork to seal the edges. Cut slits to make vents. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 30 minutes or until browned.


**- I found 6 inch disks to be much too big, the Pasties were HUGE! Think Starbucks-pastry huge. For me, 3 inches, or thereabouts, was perfect. It makes much more than 6 Pasties that way too!

No comments:

Post a Comment