HH6 August Challenge

This month's challenge was to create an original slow-cooker dish using 5 ingredients or less. I'm going to revisit a post from last year for this challenge: Pulled Pork Sandwiches. Having grown up in South Carolina, I was trying to recreate good ol' Southern pulled pork. It turned out to not be quite the same since, as I recall, they serve the pork dry and you put the sauce on top and this has the pork cook in the sauce, but the flavors are fairly close, and it's pretty darn good! It's become a regular in our household because it's so yummy and so easy to make.


The previous post actually has 8 ingredients instead of 5 so it's not exactly meeting the challenge. I'd hoped to be able to eliminate something, but I just can't; all of them are important! So you don't have to click through, I'll repost the recipe here for you.



1 c bottled BBQ sauce
1/2 c mustard
2 T Worchestershire sauce
1.4 c apple cider vinegar
2 T honey
1/2 c ketchup
2 T brown sugar
~3 lb pork tenderloin*



Combine ingredients up to pork in slow cooker, mix well. Put in pork, turn to coat. Cook on low ~4 hours if thawed, ~6 hours if frozen, turning occasionally to coat in sauce if you're able (not vital, but it helps keep it moist if you can). An hour before you want to eat, shred pork with forks. Mix shredded pork well so it's all covered in the sauce. Let cook another hour so the sauce really gets into the meat. Serve on burger buns and top with whatever you want- cole slaw, pickles, hot sauce, etc. 


*I used Boston Butt once because it was on crazy sale.... it worked, but it had a MUCH higher fat content and made it extremely greasy. I suppose I could've cut off come of the fat, but I must prefer using tenderloins.

1 comment: