7/4- 4th of July Cupcakes

Well, I no longer remember what I made for dinner that night, but I know I made cupcakes! What's more American than cupcakes, anyway? I had fresh blueberries that the kids and I picked with Grandma, so I thought I'd use them in cupcakes for dessert. I made Martha Stewart's Blueberries and Cream Cupcakes. They're a bit sweeter than muffins, so they count as cupcakes. :) They're really good!

The debate of what kind of frosting I should use came next. I was initially thinking of a lemon frosting, but I only had lemon extract and wasn't sure how that would react with buttercream. It probably would've been fine, (can anyone tell me?) but I didn't want to waste the time if it flopped... not to mention wasting the eggs and butter! So I opted for coconut buttercream instead. Once again, I turn to Martha for my favorite basic frosting, her Swiss Meringue Buttercream. It's an easy, and incredibly versatile frosting that you can add so many different flavors to. This time I just added a splash of coconut extract, and it was perfect! (With coconut, a little goes a long way, so I probably only used about a half a teaspoon.)

Coconut and Blueberry aren't an incredibly common combination, but I thought they worked pretty well together. And of course I topped them with a bit of American flair. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment