3/15- Chicken Pot Pie

This is definitely not my recipe, but it's sooooo gooooood. It's called "Kombat Kween's Chicken Pot Pie" and is from a member of an online message board that I frequent (Operation Homefront Online, formerly CinCHouse). It's not so much a "light" recipe, but if you really wanted it to be there are things you could switch out. For example, it calls for heavy cream, but it works just as well with any type of milk. It might turn out a tad runnier, but it still tastes just as good!

Anyway, to start off, cook about 6 chicken breasts, then cut them into bite-sized pieces. Cube up 4-5 white potatoes, and cook them in boiling water. Then you heat 9 T each of butter and flour until it forms a thick paste; season with salt and pepper. Add 3 cups of chicken broth and 1.5 cups of heavy cream (or milk, or a mixture of both). Cook on simmer until it thickens up. Add in the chicken, potatoes, and 3 cups of frozen mixed veggies (beans, corn, carrots, peas, etc). Let it simmer until it's all heated through.

These quantities will give you 2 full pies; I always make 2 and freeze one for later. Put a pie crust in the bottom of each pie pan, then fill with the filling. Top with another crust, crimp edges, and poke holes to vent. At this point, you can wrap one up in foil and toss it in the freezer for a night that you're feeling lazy. Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and cooked through. Sooooo good!!

After I made these yesterday, I started on a double batch of banana bread. I had 6 bananas go bad, so what else was I supposed to do? :) Both loaves turned out great, and I'm fighting hard not to just sit down and devour them!

I don't have pictures because my darling son dropped my little point-and-shoot camera and broke it. I don't feel like hauling out the SLR just to take pictures of my food, so until my husband fixes that one or finds his little p-a-s, you'll just have to use your imagination to picture what my food looks like. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment