Baked Potato Soup, etc

A few days ago, I tried my hand at Baked Potato Soup again. The first time I tried it, I made it in one of my old pots that was infamous for burning any and all cream sauces. I say "was" because I got so mad at it for burning this soup that I dumped the burnt soup down the drain, and promptly threw the (still warm) pot in the trash bin outside. Take that, stupid pot! Since then, I've gotten a new set of pots- Calphalon
Contemporary Nonstick. Can I just tell you how much they rock?? SO easy to clean and take care of, and they cook so evenly and well. Definitely worth the money. Anyway, I digress..... back to the soup. It's yet another Cooking Light recipe, although I probably ruin any "lightness" by adding extra cheese. I can't help it, I married a guy who likes cheese. Basically you just heat milk and flour until it's thick, mix in some slightly mashed baked potatoes, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and green onions. Top it with more cheddar, crumbled bacon, and green onions. Serious comfort food.
The next thing I made was Sweet Salmon with a Kick. It's another one that I've made before, but I think it turned out better this time. You rub kosher salt and Chinese 5-spice on the salmon, broil it, and baste it with a soy sauce, rice vinegar, and honey mixture. I served it with garlic mashed potatoes, broccoli, and more of the basting sauce. Even my 2 year old liked it!
Saturday, we had our monthly Church dinner. Since Rebecca's constantly craving baked goods and desserts, I decided to oblige her with Apple Turnovers. I had some old puff pastry in the freezer and figured it was as good a time as any to use it. Just peel and slice 4 apples (I used Macintosh), sautee with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, mix in some cream of tartar to thicken it, and spoon it onto squares of puff pastry. Pinch them closed, then bake until they're brown, puffy, and generally just delicious-looking. I found the recipe on allrecipes.com, and it was clearly a hit since there weren't any left by the time the dinner was over! I'll definitely be making these again someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment